Fish cakes

05 June 2012

My eldest had tea at a friend's house about a year ago and had home made fish cakes. For some time afterwards he asked if I could make some. As a vegetarian I did not have a suitable recipe in any of my books, so I turned to the net for inspiration. This recipe is one I made up taking all the ingredients that I thought sounded like they would go together. I have never eaten these myself but they get eaten very quickly when I make them, and there is never any left for another day. This recipe is based on a 213g can of fish but it is easy to change the quantities if you can buy fresh fish, I use salmon, but I am sure you could use other fish.

Salmon Fish cakes

Can of salmon 213g
Cooked potatoes 125g
Mayonnaise 3/4 tbs
Dill 1 tsp
Chopped capers 1 tbs
Small egg boiled and chopped
Lemon juice 1tsp
Cayenne (optional) pinch

Coating:
Beaten egg
Breadcrumbs

Mash the potatoes with the mayonnaise.
Mix all the remaining ingredients, not including the coating!

If you have time chill to firm them, but it is not absolutely necessary they will be more difficult to handle but not impossible.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees centrigrade, you might want to do this earlier if you are not chilling the cakes.

Dip each fish cake in egg and then coat with breadcrumbs.

Place on a baking tray and cook for about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Everytime we buy fishcakes, I think to myself that they shouldn't be too difficult to make them at home...you've put that thought back in my head :) . Thanks for this simple and doable recipe. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)