Lettuce

31 July 2012

This last week I have had a lot of lettuce that needed eating.  My garden is producing masses of it at the moment some of which had, sadly, gone to seed.  It goes a bit bitter at this stage so I wondered if I could cook it to take the bitter flavour away.  I remember some years back that a friend had cooked lettuce soup with some tired looking lettuce.  I had a look through my cookery books with no success, so I turned to the web.  I could not find a recipe I liked the sound of, so I used bits from several recipes and made this, it was delicious.

Lettuce Soup

25g butter
1 tbs oil
1 onion chopped
1 lettuce shredded
500g frozen peas
750ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
Fresh mint finely chopped

Melt butter and oil, fry onion until soft, add lettuce and fry for a minute.

Add peas and cook for five minutes, add stock and bring to a simmer.

Remove from heat and liquidise.  Season with salt and pepper, stir in chopped mint and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Still here, couldn't resist reading a bit more! This sounds delicious! my youngest just recently asked for lettuce quiche, which I made by frying lettuce and onion first, then following the basic milk/egg recipe.
    Will definitely be trying out your soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good too, I still have lots of lettuce that needs eating I will give that a try. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)