Knitting

19 February 2014


My sock knitting is just not happening this year, first of all I cast on these but I decided the yarn didn't go with the pattern, then last week I shared these.  I had noted that the cables can make the socks tight so I cast on more stitches as suggested and went up a couple of needle sizes to make sure they fitted.  I had got to the heel flap and thought I would try them on to see whether I needed to make them any longer and I couldn't get them on, I couldn't even get them onto my youngest's feet, they might fit a baby......I have put them to one side whilst I decide what to do.  In the meantime I have cast on a cardigan for myself using the wool I frogged from a project I knitted ages ago and never wore.  I am going to add sleeves this time and have been using these notes to work out the pattern, so far so good....

I have read another book this week which I really enjoyed.  The Beautiful Truth by Belinda Seaward follows the journey of Catherine as she travels to Krakow to find out about her father who disappeared when she was child and in doing so makes discoveries about herself.  The story moves between war torn and modern day Krakow.   I particularly enjoyed this book as I have travelled to Krakow myself, the places described were familiar to me.  I am back reading Mathematics Minus Fear, I am away at the moment and only bought two books with me, I should've bought more!

Oh, and before I forget I finished the shawl and shared pictures of it here, my mum loved it!

Joining in with Tami and  Ginny for sharing of yarny works in progress head on over to see what others are busy with.....

9 comments:

  1. Shalom is such a great pattern but I would have to modify to make it big enough for it to fit me. I really like it in grey too. Not much sock knitting happening over here either. I haven't even finished one sock yet which is so unlike me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating to start those socks and find they are too small! Very annoying indeed. I love the idea of knitting socks but think it's technically beyond me at the moment! Anyway, the Shalom cardigan looks lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colour of that yarn. And kudos to anyone who knits socks, even if they need frogging from time to time ... I would never have the patience, I'd suffer terminal second sock syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your mum liked her shawl. Sock knitting is a tricky business - mine always come out a little to large on the leg part.
    Lovely color for your shalom, they knit up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knitting and reading - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am knitting my first Shalom right now, can't wait to see how yours comes out with sleeves. I am following the pattern exactly for my first, and am using the most beautiful green colored yarn. It is not the softest in the world, but I love the color so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How frustrating about the socks! I haven't even attempted to knit socks yet. I love the color of the cardigan you have started, and the pattern is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that you are knitting for you :) That's the best kind of knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The yarn I'm using on the socks is from Wooly Rhinoceros and the patter some alteration of Africa's Socks, but I was short on needles, that's why it looks like that.
    Your project looks beautiful, I have always wanted to try that pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)