Trees

31 October 2014


I read a book to my youngest recently, I forget the title, at the end of the story there was a series of questions you could ask based on the story.  One of them was who are your friends?  I was expecting her to reply with the name/s of some of the children she regularly plays with.  Her answer?  Trees!  Like me she has fallen under their spell.  As a teenager I had one poster on my bedroom wall not of any of the bands that I loved listening too at the time but a poster of trees.  I have often wondered what became of that poster I took it with me when I left home and it travelled around with moe on my many moves, nearly twenty in ten years.  I suspect it got left on a wall somewhere......

I love a walk in the woods, any woods will do at any time of year.  The colours, sounds and smells are unique to each wood, a walk in the woods is a guaranteed feast to the senses.  I have been feasting my senses from an armchair this month, well actually my bed as that is where I do most of my reading, with the wonderful book The Secret Life of Trees by Colin Tudge.

This is a book in three parts, the first deals with the definition of trees, classification, how they may have evolved and the wonder of wood, an amazing natural material.  The middle section details all the tree families and gives some examples of each, to go into detail on them all would make for a very big book indeed, and where they grow in the world.  This was fascinating as trees belong in so many, varied families many of which contain species that are not trees.  I was ready to move onto the final section when this one finished as my head was starting to spin with all the details.  The last section was, for me, the most interesting.  It details how trees live and survive, where they grow and possible explanations why,  their relationship with their local environment including fauna and lastly the future of trees with the warming of the atmosphere.  I have loved reading this book, it has been a fascinating insight into the science of trees.

I am undecided what to read next, some fiction A Sudden Light by Garth Stein or more non fiction about Trees, Tree Wisdom by Jacqueline Memory Paterson.  I hope I have the time to read both next month.

Linking with A Year in Books



9 comments:

  1. I would hate to live in a world without trees, it's one of the reasons I find cities so depressing.
    have you heard of this
    Gossip from the Forest: The Tangled Roots of Our Forests and Fairytales
    Annie from Knitsofacto recommended it, it sounds intriguing and is on my wish list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gossip from the Forest is a wonderful book, I was given it last Christmas and can thoroughly recommend it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a fantastic book - thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about it here. Beautiful tree portraits you've taken, too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Secret Life of Trees sounds really interesting! Especially that last section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a whole shelf of books about trees here but although Tudge's book is there I've yet to read it properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are a fan of dipping in and out of a book, this book lends itself to this especially the middle section where he details the trees of the world!

      Delete
  5. I'm a tree lover too, that book sounds great - must add it to my wishlist (as if there aren't enough books on it already, hehe!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww how lovely, I do love trees I find them so fascinating I have to say. They have seen so much in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Secret Life of Tress sound fascinating, one for my Christmas list this year for sure! Thanks very much for visiting and commenting on my blog. Ellie at Lifechimes.

    ReplyDelete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)