Marathon

22 April 2015



This time of year always feels like a bit of a marathon, with lots of birthdays, it feels like I am never without needles in my hands, either sewing or knitting.  I have endeavoured to be a little more organised this year, starting things off a bit earlier which has paid off as I now have over a month to Alice's birthday which is the finishing line.  I have already started on some sewing which is cut out and getting more and more creased as it waits on the back of a chair.  But now that I can focus on her presents I am completely undecided as to what to make!  I don't want a finishing straight of late nights so I hope my mojo comes back soon.  In the meantime I have cast on a cardigan which I hope I can finish in time, I am not a fan of knitting to deadlines, I have just less than five weeks......

Late night making would put paid to my reading time which is rather precious to me.  I have found that I sleep so much better if I read before going to sleep, I spend anything up to an hour.  This is not something I could contemplate when the children were younger but now that they are getting older, the small bits of me time are treasured and used wisely.  My current reading is a large book which has kept me occupied for a few weeks now.  A history of the British Landscape as sculpted by man, it starts with prehistoric times and takes you right up to the modern day.  The author is an archeologist based in the Fens, which he has a slight bias towards in this book, naturally I suppose as this has probably been his major area of study.

Joining Ginny

26 comments:

  1. lovely knitting :) I read before falling asleep and it helps quiet my mind and set the stage for sleeping. I cannot imagine not reading before sleeping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be careful what I choose to read tho' if it is a thrilling story, I don't want to put it down and then end up reading far too late!

      Delete
  2. I read before bed too, and so enjoy that time. I am treasuring the little more me time that comes with having an older child as well. Good luck with the cardigan, the colours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it to have those moments to treasure as your own, I feel like I have a good balance now :)

      Delete
  3. I also read before bed. It helps me to sleep the whole night instead of getting up several times. I am excited for that little me time I will get once my 5 year old gets a bit bigger. Enjoy your time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't sleep as well when I don't read too.

      Delete
  4. Oh what gorgeous colours in your knitting! I love to read before bed but I don't often get the chance - it's good to know it will come in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope my daughter likes them too :)

      Delete
  5. I always try to get a bit of reading in before bed as well. Even if it's a few pages from a magazine article. With younger kids, I think it is why I've learned to appreciate non-fiction so much. Easier to stop after a few pages. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through a period of reading lots of non fiction when my children were younger. My reading time was so precious then that I wanted to use it wisely ;)

      Delete
  6. The book you're reading sounds so interesting. I would love to read it too. I almost always do some reading before bed, it helps me relax. I love that you're knitting gifts for everyone. I think handmade gifts are the most special kind there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really interesting, I have finished it now. Would you like me to send it to you for reading next?

      Delete
  7. I have to read before sleep too. If I don't it takes me so much longer to drop off but after a few minutes reading I feel my eyelids starting to close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often have nights like that, I only read a few pages and I am nearly asleep!

      Delete
  8. No matter the time I always read a few pages befor sleep. As always you are well organised with the birthday crafts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that my being organised pays off, time will tell.......

      Delete
  9. For a moment, I thought you were building up for a running marathon. It can feel like a marathon, with all the deadlines we inevitably give ourselves. Especially the annual ones. I'm just the same. Hope you find some me-time inbetween all the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think running a marathon would completely finish me off!

      Delete
  10. I usually read before going to sleep, it helps me to relax and wind down. I'm glad I'm not knitting or crafting to deadlines at the moment, I've been busy with other things just lately so my crafting has fallen by the wayside for now. I'm sure I'll get back to it soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My making definitely tails off in the summer, replaced by gardening!

      Delete
  11. I love to read in bed too, currently enjoying 1215 The Year of the Magna Carter which I first saw mentioned on your blog - great book.
    Love those two colors together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed that book, glad you are too!

      Delete
  12. .... so that is the secret to a good night sleep, I actually knit, it seems to slow and calm my mind. Good luck with your gift making- I know no matter wat Alice will have a very special birthday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my husband might file for a divorce if I knitted in bed! I agree knitting is very relaxing, I sometimes do knit before sleep when he is away!

      Delete
  13. I can't read in bed, as I fall asleep over the book, but read at some point every day, can't imagine life without it! You are well organised with your presents! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to find time for it our lives isn't it. I tried to fit it in earlier in the day but couldn't manage it ;)

      Delete

Hello......would love to hear from you :)